Wednesday 18 April 2012

Day 2 – 380km Wednesday 04/04/2012 Fes – Ifrane – Midelt – Ar-Rachidia – Source bleue de Meski






Had a good breakfast at the very nice Riad Sara in Fes before saying goodbye to my new Italian friends. It would have been fun to travel with them as we were both following a similar route, but unfortunately I had to up the tempo as I had little time to play with and a lot of ground to cover. At this stage I still haven’t sorted-out insurance for the motorbike ‘Assurance Frontiere’ as the office in the Tangier port was shut. Think I’ll give it a miss now.

Made good progress to Ifrane which is 1650m above sea level and a popular ski-resort in the winter. Saw the impressive Presidential Snow Palace before hitting the road again toward Azrou and then Midelt. The road was very high up and I endured lots of rain and hail. I was really pleased that I’d packed my winter gloves, warm clothes and under helmet balaclava. Midelt was a cool place in every sense of the word and the sun even came out for a short while to warm my bones. I chose to ride on through the cold / rain / mist through the well known Gorges du Ziz (which I didn’t even see due to the poor visibility) and on into Ar-Rachidia. I didn’t like the look of the town and wasn’t feeling tired so pushed-on towards Erfoud. At this point a huge storm started and it got very dark, in between the lightening flashes……

Luckily, before the heavens opened, I made it to a camp-site at the Source bleue de Meski where I put up my tent in the fading light. It’s absolutely pouring down as I write and my cheapo tent is already leaking – oh joy, another interesting night.

No comments:

Post a Comment